Thursday, September 23, 2021

Promises of Peace #23

This week, as I've been looking back on the blur of these last three weeks, and the overwhelming thoughts of the next three months, I have found myself stopping along the way on this familiar verse from Psalm 23: 
4 Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
    I will fear no evil,
for you are with me;
    your rod and your staff,
    they comfort me.
David's picturesque speech was very literal and personal. As a shepherd and a warrior on the run he had been in those valleys of danger and death, not knowing what may lie around the next bend, covered with darkness and uncertainty. Yet, he had this peace from God that overcame the fear; he knew that God was with him.  How? Was God whispering softly to him? Was God giving him a soft bed and warm fuzzies? No, he felt God's rod and staff - that hard hook that would grab him around the neck to redirect him, that prodding pole that would get his attention to watch where he was going. These were not mean-spirited jabs and jerks, but loving taps and tugs that would remind the sheep that the shepherd was right there watching over him or her. That assurance of safety and security gave all the comfort that was needed to go through the valley and beyond.  That's what we have in Christ. 

No comments:

Post a Comment