Sunday, September 19, 2021

Promises of Peace #19

Many of us recognize Psalm 119 as the longest  Psalm, which focuses on forming our lives around the truth of God's Word.  In the tenth stanza the psalmist says:
73 Your hands made me and formed me;
    give me understanding to learn your commands.
74 May those who fear you rejoice when they see me,
    for I have put my hope in your word.
75 I know, Lord, that your laws are righteous,
    and that in faithfulness you have afflicted me.
76 May your unfailing love be my comfort,
    according to your promise to your servant.
77 Let your compassion come to me that I may live,
    for your law is my delight
Notice what he says: "Lord, you made me.  You gave me the ability of heart and mind to comprehend and obey Your Word. I have chosen to trust what You say. I believe you ways are right and that You Yourself are good." Then notice this in the middle verse:  and that in faithfulness you have afflicted me. God - not out of meanness, or apahy, or any evil intent, but in consistency with His love and goodness, had allowed something harmful to come upon him.  As a result, the psalmist asks God for His comfort, compassion and continued direction in his life, this life lived following God's Word.  That is the life worth living; that is the life of Peace with God - knowing that even in the darkest hour, He is good; He is right; He loves and cares for me; He is there for me, so all will be well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment