Tuesday, September 21, 2021

Promises of Peace #21

 
In Psalm 62, David talks to us about the peace that goes deep to the soul:
1 Truly my soul finds rest in God;
    my salvation comes from him.
2 Truly he is my rock and my salvation;
    he is my fortress, I will never be shaken.
3 How long will you assault me?
    Would all of you throw me down—
    this leaning wall, this tottering fence?
4 Surely they intend to topple me
    from my lofty place;
    they take delight in lies.
With their mouths they bless,
    but in their hearts they curse.
5 Yes, my soul, find rest in God;
    my hope comes from him.
6 Truly he is my rock and my salvation;
    he is my fortress, I will not be shaken
.
Notice first of all how David sees himself: a leaning wall, a tottering fence - already falling over and easy to knock down.  David does not see himself as indestructable. And there are plenty of people ready to give the push; they want to see him fall.  Yet, David has peace; his soul is at rest; he is confident and secure. Why? God is his Rock, his Fortress, his Saving place to stand.   Therefore, he is able to say: Truly... truly, I will not be shaken.  May we be able to say the same. 

No comments:

Post a Comment