Tuesday, November 26, 2019

Hold the complaining, please...

12 Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, so now, not only as in my presence but much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling, 13 for it is God who works in you, both to will and to work for his good pleasure. 14 Do all things without grumbling or disputing, 15 that you may be blameless and innocent, children of God without blemish in the midst of a crooked and twisted generation, among whom you shine as lights in the world, 16 holding fast to the word of life, so that in the day of Christ I may be proud that I did not run in vain or labor in vain. 17 Even if I am to be poured out as a drink offering upon the sacrificial offering of your faith, I am glad and rejoice with you all. 18 Likewise you also should be glad and rejoice with me. (Philippians 2)
Verse 14 in older translations reads: "Do everything without grumbling or complaining". It is sandwiched between the first eleven verses of this chapter which describes Christ's humble, selfless willingness to come to earth and die on our behalf, without any grumbling or complaining, and then beneath the exhortation is Pauls reminder of his being poured out as a sacrifice in sharing the gospel and teaching them the truth of God.  Along with this negative exhortation: "Hold the complaining" are all these positive parts of the sandwich we should include: reverence, innocence, and commitment to the Word of God. So let's have a healthier sandwich today, and hold the complaining, please. 

No comments:

Post a Comment