Sunday, July 15, 2018

Praying on the Character of God...

86 
Incline your ear, O Lord, and answer me,
    for I am poor and needy.
Preserve my life, for I am godly;
    save your servant, who trusts in you—you are my God.
Be gracious to me, O Lord,
    for to you do I cry all the day.
Gladden the soul of your servant,
    for to you, O Lord, do I lift up my soul.
For you, O Lord, are good and forgiving,
    abounding in steadfast love to all who call upon you.
Give ear, O Lord, to my prayer;
    listen to my plea for grace.
In the day of my trouble I call upon you,
    for you answer me.
(Psalm 86:1-7)
Almost always, as we read the prayers of the psalmist, the plea is based upon the character of God.  Here, in the midst of this prayer, the writer points out three key attributes of God: He is Good, Forgiving, and Loving. With those in mind, we can ask God to do all sorts of things: preserve, provide, and show grace - giving us whatever is appropriate, which we cannot do without Him stepping in. The possibilities are many. What about the character of God draws you to talk to Him today? 

No comments:

Post a Comment