Friday, September 29, 2017

Worship: Singing the Second Stanza



PSALM 66:8-13
There is none like you among the gods, O Lord,
    nor are there any works like yours.
All the nations you have made shall come
    and worship before you, O Lord,
    and shall glorify your name.
10 For you are great and do wondrous things;
    you alone are God.
11 Teach me your way, O Lord,
    that I may walk in your truth;
    unite my heart to fear your name.
12 I give thanks to you, O Lord my God, with my whole heart,
    and I will glorify your name forever.
13 For great is your steadfast love toward me;
    you have delivered my soul from the depths of Sheol.

I once had a man quit coming to Sunday evening services. Why? Because when we would have hymn-sings we would not sing every verse, chopping up the message of the song. He had a point. Often, we know the first verse only of a hymn or carol, and never get deep into the message. The opening verses of this psalm have some great stuff, some of which are repeated in this second stanza: worshiping by giving thanks, acknowledging that God is greater than all others, and seeing Him as our only salvation. But packed in the middle of it all is this request: Teach me your way, O Lord,
    that I may walk in your truth;
    unite my heart to fear your name.
Real worship is responsive; it affects the way we live and what we live for. David puts it plainly: "LORD, help me to want what You want!" As we rush through our day today, may we take time to get to the second stanza - worshiping God not just as the Great Big One out there (Who does deserve to be praised!), but to come away with a heartfelt desire that our desires will be His.

No comments:

Post a Comment