Thursday, September 7, 2017

What it is, and what it isn't...

James 1:26 If anyone thinks he is religious and does not bridle his tongue but deceives his heart, this person's religion is worthless. 27 Religion that is pure and undefiled before God the Father is this: to visit orphans and widows in their affliction, and to keep oneself unstained from the world.
Through the years I've heard people refer to others as "good Christian people". Often, it has taken me back... because I know the people of whom they speak too well.  It's not that I am comparing them to myself, or any others, but to this standard in James.  They have a lot of mouth, but not a lot of compassion or generosity to those most in need, and they seem to think the rules of holiness don't necessarily apply to them.  But then it doesn't matter what I think.  What matters is for each of us to get our thinking straight with God's thinking, and with the character of Christ. 

No comments:

Post a Comment