Thursday, December 8, 2016

The Messiah Mocked...

My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?
Why are you so far from saving me, from the words of my groaning?
O my God, I cry by day, but you do not answer,
and by night, but I find no rest.
Yet you are holy,
enthroned on the praises of Israel.
In you our fathers trusted;
they trusted, and you delivered them.
To you they cried and were rescued;
in you they trusted and were not put to shame.
But I am a worm and not a man,
scorned by mankind and despised by the people.
All who see me mock me;
they make mouths at me; they wag their heads;
“He trusts in the LORD; let him deliver him;
let him rescue him, for he delights in him!”
(Psalm 22:1-8 ESV)
Many of us recognize the opening statement as words quoted by Christ on the cross. They were originally penned by David 1000 years before. He was sure of his anointing by God, but unjustly treated. His mistreatment, however, was nothing like that of the Messiah.  As we go on, the words of the speaker may at times have fit David, but they are no more fitting for anyone other than Christ, as he hung on the cross, being mocked, glared at, talked about, and asked to prove that he was more than a mere man.  What agony! To have the authority and ability to save Himself and prove Himself, but to chose to do otherwise for the sake and salvation of His mockers.  He knew the Father was able to deliver Him, and it was the Father's character to do so, but the Father as well,on this occasion, would chose not to do so.  What a mystery - that Messiah would do this for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment