Sunday, December 11, 2016

No Compassion for the Christ...

You know my reproach,
and my shame and my dishonor;
my foes are all known to you.
Reproaches have broken my heart,
so that I am in despair.
I looked for pity, but there was none,
and for comforters, but I found none.
They gave me poison for food,
and for my thirst they gave me sour wine to drink.
(Psalm 69:19-21 ESV)
This longer psalm of the Messiah focuses on His suffering, and the mocking that He endured on the cross.  Even this one act of "kindness" was not compassion, but the mere attempt to dry His lips long enough so He could say one more thing they would ridicule.  Earlier in the Psalm it talks about them making up songs and stories to mock Him.  It is severe hardness of heart that turns one to make fun of One Who has shown only grace, love and mercy toward you, Whose only "crime" is to tell you the truth about your sin and self-righteousness so that you can repent and be saved.  What do you see, think, feel and decide when you look on the crucified Christ?

No comments:

Post a Comment