Saturday, September 24, 2016

Total Vulnerability

Afterward David also arose and went out of the cave, and called after Saul, “My lord the king!” And when Saul looked behind him, David bowed with his face to the earth and paid homage. And David said to Saul, “Why do you listen to the words of men who say, ‘Behold, David seeks your harm’? Behold, this day your eyes have seen how the LORD gave you today into my hand in the cave. And some told me to kill you, but I spared you. I said, ‘I will not put out my hand against my lord, for he is the LORD's anointed.’ See, my father, see the corner of your robe in my hand. For by the fact that I cut off the corner of your robe and did not kill you, you may know and see that there is no wrong or treason in my hands. I have not sinned against you, though you hunt my life to take it. May the LORD judge between me and you, may the LORD avenge me against you, but my hand shall not be against you. As the proverb of the ancients says, ‘Out of the wicked comes wickedness.’ But my hand shall not be against you. After whom has the king of Israel come out? After whom do you pursue? After a dead dog! After a flea! May the LORD therefore be judge and give sentence between me and you, and see to it and plead my cause and deliver me from your hand.” (1 Samuel 24:8-15 ESV)
Was David nuts? Saul has been pursuing David in order to kill him. David has just surrendered his golden opportunity to return the favor. Now David gives up his cover, bows before his pursuer, and opens up his heart for criticism and his life for potential slaughter. Why would he do that? Because he truly believed in God as the ultimate judge. He believed that honesty and humility were more than a slogan - they are THE way of life. He begins the conversation by confessing what he had done wrong, making himself vulnerable, even though it was clear for all to see that Saul had much more he needed to confess to. What are you and I willing to do to "bring things out into the open? Are we willing to be vulnerable? To trust in God to "plead my cause and deliver me?" What important relationship are you having trouble doing that with? Follow David's example: humble honesty and total trust.

No comments:

Post a Comment