Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Praise from the pit!


My soul is in the midst of lions;

I lie down amid fiery beasts—
the children of man, whose teeth are spears and arrows,
whose tongues are sharp swords.
Be exalted, O God, above the heavens!
Let your glory be over all the earth!
They set a net for my steps;
my soul was bowed down.
They dug a pit in my way,
but they have fallen into it themselves. Selah
(Psalm 57:4-6 ESV)
Many of us recognize the verse above... we find ourselves singing it. But notice where it is sandwiched in:  David is under attack... verbally and literally, by the tongue and the sword.  He has been baited by Saul: "do good and I'll catch you!" But it is Saul who walked in the cave, fell into the trap.  So, in the midst of the accusations and lies and downright evil intentions of the enemy, David praised. It's not about me and my suffering and my feelings. It's about God's glory.
From what little I saw of the debate last night, I don't think either one gets this. But was as followers of Christ sure should.  We can look back on David, Daniel, Joseph, and Christ Himself who endured such lying attacks and vicious plots, and say at the end of the day: "Be Exalted, O God! Let you Glory rule my life!"

No comments:

Post a Comment