Saturday, July 14, 2012

Lame excuses...

 But they all alike began to make excuses. The first said to him, ‘I have bought a field, and I must go out and see it. Please have me excused.’ And another said, ‘I have bought five yoke of oxen, and I go to examine them. Please have me excused.’ And another said, ‘I have married a wife, and therefore I cannot come.’ So the servant came and reported these things to his master. Then the master of the house became angry ...’(Luke 14:18-21a ESV)
As Jesus continues His reply to the diner who was sure he was "in", the story takes a twist: many of those invited to the banquet have excuses for not coming.  Even though they knew it was coming, and should have been ready to go, the Host's banquet just wasn't important enough to them.  The host responds with justified anger, and He demonstrates His anger in the most creative way (as we would expect the Creator to do). He... (continued tomorrow...) What excuses do we make for ignoring God?

No comments:

Post a Comment