Thursday, July 5, 2012

Finding a good spouse 4 - a servants heart...

 “Before I had finished speaking in my heart, behold, Rebekah came out with her water jar on her shoulder, and she went down to the spring and drew water. I said to her, ‘Please let me drink.’ She quickly let down her jar from her shoulder and said, ‘Drink, and I will give your camels drink also.’ So I drank, and she gave the camels drink also.(Genesis 24:45-46 ESV)
Abraham's servant had prayed, opened up his eyes, and seen Rebekah.  The big question was: how would she respond? How would her family respond?  This was quickly answered as she showed him immediate hospitality and respect, and subsuquently as her family gave him and his caravan lodging and food.  These acts demonstrated what was in the heart: an openness to God and others, to not be apprehensive about how the Lord may lead, and a desire to live Him and others, not themselves. Such qualities lay the foundation for a life lived together well.

No comments:

Post a Comment