Friday, August 2, 2024

Proper Commendation


I Corinthians 4: This is how one should regard us, as servants of Christ and stewards of the mysteries of God. 2 Moreover, it is required of stewards that they be found faithful. 3 But with me it is a very small thing that I should be judged by you or by any human court. In fact, I do not even judge myself. 4 For I am not aware of anything against myself, but I am not thereby acquitted. It is the Lord who judges me. 5 Therefore do not pronounce judgment before the time, before the Lord comes, who will bring to light the things now hidden in darkness and will disclose the purposes of the heart. Then each one will receive his commendation from God.

Even today, when we look to the apostles in the early church, we cannot help but say "Wow! What faith! What Power!" But that is now what Paul wanted the people to do.  The Apostles wanted people to look at them and see Jesus, and themselves as merely servants.  Paul goes on to say that was his personal practice. What in fact was happening is that people, by comparing the Apostles to one another, focused on the negative in each one. So rather than thinking too highly of them, they viewed the Apostles too lowly and thought they had progressed beyond them in their faith and learning.  Such comparison led to criticism and disunity.  

No comments:

Post a Comment