Saturday, August 10, 2024

If the Lord Had Not...


Psalm 94: Who rises up for me against the wicked?
    Who stands up for me against evildoers?
17 If the Lord had not been my help,
    my soul would soon have lived in the land of silence.
18 When I thought, “My foot slips,”
    your steadfast love, O Lord, held me up.
19 When the cares of my heart are many,
    your consolations cheer my soul.

Like many of the psalms we have seen, the psalmist begins with a cry for justice.  He and his people are being afflicted by wick peoples around them, apparently with no mercy.  But it is not long until the psalmist remember Whom he is dealing with: the One Who made the eye and ear both sees and hears; the One Who made the soul knows the thoughts and intentions of man; He will act.  The psalmist speaks from history: the Lord had been there for him in the past, keeping him in safety and comforting His heart. He surely will be there again this time, and the next, and the next... Timing is everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment