Tuesday, November 29, 2022

Christ is Coming #3


Psalm 130 is one of the Songs of Ascents that the people of  Israel would sing on their way to Jerusalem for one of their holy assemblies or special celebrations.  It contains in it this aspect of hope we associate with Advent:
 Out of the depths I cry to you, O Lord!
2     O Lord, hear my voice!
Let your ears be attentive
    to the voice of my pleas for mercy!
3 If you, O Lord, should mark iniquities,
    O Lord, who could stand?
4 But with you there is forgiveness,
    that you may be feared.
5 I wait for the Lord, my soul waits,
    and in his word I hope;
6 my soul waits for the Lord
    more than watchmen for the morning,
    more than watchmen for the mornin
g.
Notice here the deep convictions about the character of God: He is merciful; He is forgiving: He is faithful. The resulting response then is a heart that anticipates what God will do: He will hear: He will answer; He will come and do what needs to be done. That is exactly what Christ did when He came. During Advent this year, may we have that same sense of anticipation and trust the Psalmist has here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment