Saturday, November 5, 2022

Being the Church #36


In I Corinthians 9, Paul is trying to help us keep perspective as to how we are to be in the world, yet not of this world - how we can do all we can to bring together God's people from all sorts of different backgrounds. He says:
19 For though I am free from all, I have made myself a servant to all, that I might win more of them. 20 To the Jews I became as a Jew, in order to win Jews. To those under the law I became as one under the law (though not being myself under the law) that I might win those under the law. 21 To those outside the law I became as one outside the law (not being outside the law of God but under the law of Christ) that I might win those outside the law. 22 To the weak I became weak, that I might win the weak. I have become all things to all people, that by all means I might save some. 23 I do it all for the sake of the gospel, that I may share with them in its blessings.
Our freedom in Christ does not make us free from responsibility to others.  We cannot just blow other people off based upon our convictions.  We need to deal wisely and gingerly with those of different backgrounds and perspectives. First and foremost, we must view ourselves as God's servants who are willing to serve others to draw them to Him.  As God's people we are called out, separated to serve Him. But we are not to get an attitude that we are better and cut off all ties with others. We need to build bridges and be willing to serve others to demonstrate to them the blessings of the Gospel.  This is part of being the Church. May the church be the church today.

No comments:

Post a Comment