Sunday, December 6, 2020

Questions for a Quiet Christmas #6


As we move further into Isaiah's prophecies about the coming Messiah, His Servant, we come to chapter 42, with a lot of phrases and descriptions often quoted in the New Testament: 
 Behold my servant, whom I uphold,
    my chosen, in whom my soul delights;
I have put my Spirit upon him;
    he will bring forth justice to the nations.
2 He will not cry aloud or lift up his voice,
    or make it heard in the street;
3 a bruised reed he will not break,
    and a faintly burning wick he will not quench;
    he will faithfully bring forth justice.
4 He will not grow faint or be discouraged
    till he has established justice in the earth;
    and the coastlands wait for his law.
5 Thus says God, the Lord,
    who created the heavens and stretched them out,
    who spread out the earth and what comes from it,
who gives breath to the people on it
    and spirit to those who walk in it:
6 “I am the Lord; I have called you in righteousness;
    I will take you by the hand and keep you;
I will give you as a covenant for the people,
    a light for the nations,
7     to open the eyes that are blind,
to bring out the prisoners from the dungeon,
    from the prison those who sit in darkness.
8 I am the Lord; that is my name;
    my glory I give to no other,
    nor my praise to carved idols.
9 Behold, the former things have come to pass,
    and new things I now declare;
before they spring forth
    I tell you of them.”
This servant of the Lord is coming to bring justice. But How? He is not going to go around like some rebel-rouser yelling in the streets; He will be gentle.  He will be resisted in His work, yet he will not grow faint or be discouraged. We are the ones who become weak and discouraged and want to give up; it is in Him what we find strength to go on.  Then, in verse , God shifts from the third person to the second, giving His personal promise to His Servant: "You are called; I will be with you; I will give you as a covenant."  What does that mean - I will give You as a covenant for the people? God had made covenants with people before: with Abraham, the people of Israel, David. But now He was going to give His Servant as a covenant promise to The people - what people? the nations, the spiritually blind, the prisoners of sin.  Perhaps we get a glimpse in Jesus' words in the upper room with His disciples in Luke22: 20 “This cup that is poured out for you is the new covenant in my blood." God gave His Son, His servant, Who gave His life for us. It is His righteousness, not ours, that makes us acceptable to God. True justice has been served not by some rebel, but by God's obedient Son, always doing what is right. 

No comments:

Post a Comment