Saturday, December 12, 2020

Questions for a Quiet Christmas #12

As we wrap up our examination of Psalm 139 in light of Christ's coming, we look at the final section, beginning in verse 17: 
17 How precious to me are your thoughts, O God!
    How vast is the sum of them!
18 If I would count them, they are more than the sand.
    I awake, and I am still with you.
19 Oh that you would slay the wicked, O God!
    O men of blood, depart from me!
20 They speak against you with malicious intent;
    your enemies take your name in vain.
21 Do I not hate those who hate you, O Lord?
    And do I not loathe those who rise up against you?
22 I hate them with complete hatred;
    I count them my enemies.
23 Search me, O God, and know my heart!
    Try me and know my thoughts!
24 And see if there be any grievous way in me,
    and lead me in the way everlasting!
Like David, when we think about a God who is everywhere and sees everything every moment of the day, our thoughts tend to stray away from ourselves and to everything and everyone else that bothers us. We cannot stand the heat of His knowing us better than we know ourselves, so we look at others, especially those we consider worse than ourselves - our enemies, blatant outward sinners, fools who say there is no God. We cannot stand them. Our righteous indignation rises up, until and unless we pause to answer this question: "Is there any wicked way in me?" Is there anything in my life that grieves you God? That is one of the key questions we need to get to during this quiet Christmas, choosing not to focus on everything that is wrong with the world, but mostly my part of the world - me. And we do not want to just think about it, we need to go on to the last phrase of this Psalm: Lead me in the way everlasting! I need to ask the Lord: What is the path to pleasing you? What changes need to happen to show Christ's coming in my life?

No comments:

Post a Comment