Tuesday, December 8, 2020

Questions for a Quiet Christmas #8

 

As God continues to speak through Isaiah about the coming Servant of the Lord, especially in light of their current experience as they saw their nation crumble, he gives them hope and a challenge in chapter 52:   
6 Therefore my people shall know my name. Therefore in that day they shall know that it is I who speak; here I am.”
7 How beautiful upon the mountains
    are the feet of him who brings good news,
who publishes peace, who brings good news of happiness,
    who publishes salvation,
    who says to Zion, “Your God reigns.”
8 The voice of your watchmen—they lift up their voice;
    together they sing for joy;
for eye to eye they see
    the return of the Lord to Zion.
9 Break forth together into singing,
    you waste places of Jerusalem,
for the Lord has comforted his people;
    he has redeemed Jerusalem.
10 The Lord has bared his holy arm
    before the eyes of all the nations,
and all the ends of the earth shall see
    the salvation of our God
.
In the first verse above, verse 6, God reminds them Who it is that is speaking and acting: It is the great I AM, the Lord God Almighty. So the first question for us today is: Can I hear God speaking? Have I become so wrapped up in my troubles and my own solutions that I have stopped listening to Him? Verse 7 is one of those many verses we have seen quoted in the New Testament, reminding us that God rules and He reveals Himself, and His good news, just like he did to the Shepherds on the hillside, bringing joy into their hearts and lips. And then look at the second half of verse 8: for eye to eye they see the return of the Lord to Zion. Seeing eye to eye means to be on the same page, to be so close you are one. So today we ask: Are God and I seeing eye to eye on things? Am I looking at my life, history, and His plans the same way that He does? If not, guess who needs to change.  God then exhorts us to break forth into singing - let us joyfully sing our carols of praise to God. Why? He has comforted and redeemed and saved us. Why do we sing at Christmas? Is it to "get ourselves into the mood?" Or is it a response of thanksgiving and praise as we remember, recognize and realize that God is really God, has revealed His plan, and redeemed us?

No comments:

Post a Comment