Thursday, December 10, 2020

Questions for a Quiet Christmas #10

 
For the next three days we will be looking at a Psalm we usually do not associate with Advent, but more with Sanctity of Life, but there is a connection here: Psalm 139:
O Lord, you have searched me and known me!
2 You know when I sit down and when I rise up;
    you discern my thoughts from afar.
3 You search out my path and my lying down
    and are acquainted with all my ways.
4 Even before a word is on my tongue,
    behold, O Lord, you know it altogether.
5 You hem me in, behind and before,
    and lay your hand upon me.
6 Such knowledge is too wonderful for me;
    it is high; I cannot attain it.
7 Where shall I go from your Spirit?
    Or where shall I flee from your presence?
8 If I ascend to heaven, you are there!
    If I make my bed in Sheol, you are there!
God knows all about us. That is the short summary of this Psalm He knows where we go, what we do. He even knows what we say before we say it. His presence is all around us both in time and space. His Spirit is everywhere, from the highest heights to the lowest depths.  So what does that have to do with Advent? Everywhere God goes, Christ the Son goes, has gone and will go, for us. Think about Christ as He came and walked on earth: He knew what was in people's hearts even before they spoke a word; He knew what their intentions were when they talked to Him, even looked at Him. He was fully controlled by the Spirit of God in His decisions and actions, even under the most difficult of situations. He went to Sheol, the place of the departed dead, for us, then ascended back to heaven.  One overriding question for us to ask ourselves during this time of preparation for His coming, and His coming again, is this: Do I live like I am under the searching eyes of God? Not just as judge, but in such a compassionate care for me that He cared enough to come for me, sinful though I be. May we, like David, be overwhelmed by the thought of that question. 

No comments:

Post a Comment