Friday, April 3, 2020

When (not if) I Am Afraid

Be gracious to me, O God, for man tramples on me;
    all day long an attacker oppresses me;
my enemies trample on me all day long,
    for many attack me proudly.
When I am afraid,
    put my trust in you.
In God, whose word I praise,
    in God I trust; I shall not be afraid.
    What can flesh do to me?
All day long they injure my cause;
    all their thoughts are against me for evil.
They stir up strife, they lurk;
    they watch my steps,
    as they have waited for my life.
For their crime will they escape?
    In wrath cast down the peoples, O God!
You have kept count of my tossings;
    put my tears in your bottle.
    Are they not in your book?
Then my enemies will turn back
    in the day when I call.
    This I know, that God is for me.
10 In God, whose word I praise,
    in the Lord, whose word I praise,
11 in God I trust; I shall not be afraid.
    What can man do to me?
12 I must perform my vows to you, O God;
    I will render thank offerings to you.
13 For you have delivered my soul from death,
    yes, my feet from falling,
that I may walk before God
    in the light of life. (Psalm 56)
I mentioned yesterday how David was especially fearful because he was unable to go to the House of the Lord to worship. He was forbidden from the holy city, hiding in a cave, far from home and family.  We can only imagine what some people today are experiencing in a prolonged separation from family.  Here David wrestles with other emotions and experiences during those days he was a "guest" of the Philistines. He was prone to crying, sleepless nights, physical and emotional abuse, and all sorts of other disconcerting treatment.  It was a fearful time, not knowing if he would live or die, and if he did live, what kind of life it would be. Once again, he is drawn to praise and trust God. May we do the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment