Saturday, December 21, 2019

Why shepherds?

I am the door of the sheep. 8 All who came before me are thieves and robbers, but the sheep did not listen to them. 9 I am the door. If anyone enters by me, he will be saved and will go in and out and find pasture. 10 The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have life and have it abundantly. 11 I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep. 12 He who is a hired hand and not a shepherd, who does not own the sheep, sees the wolf coming and leaves the sheep and flees, and the wolf snatches them and scatters them. 13 He flees because he is a hired hand and cares nothing for the sheep. 14 I am the good shepherd. (John 10)
Shepherds sometimes got a bad rap. What kind of person would spend their life out on the hillside with dumb, dirty sheep? Were they anti-social? (think Moses when he fled from Egypt to keep sheep.) Were they trustworthy? (they had lots of time to spin more stories than wool...) What kind of people are shepherds? Humble, caring, self-sacrificing servants. Why would God send the angels to shepherds? They understood what kind of Man this was who was being sent, what He would go through, and the demands that would be placed upon Him.  He would be their Shepherd worth following. 

No comments:

Post a Comment