Tuesday, May 1, 2018

The God of Steadfast Love

12 And he said, “O LordGod of my master Abraham, please grant me success today and show steadfast love to my master Abraham. 13 Behold, I am standing by the spring of water, and the daughters of the men of the city are coming out to draw water. 14 Let the young woman to whom I shall say, ‘Please let down your jar that I may drink,’ and who shall say, ‘Drink, and I will water your camels’—let her be the one whom you have appointed for your servant Isaac. By this I shall know that you have shown steadfast love to my master.”
(Genesis 24)
Abraham's servant had been sent on a mission - to find a wife for Isaac. I don't know about you, but that sounds like a scary proposition.  Finding a spouse for your own child could be stressful; finding one for your boss is something quite different.  So he prays - hard.  What is the strongest thing he could base his prayer on? The relationship he had seen between his boss and God. And what one characteristic stuck out to him about the character of this God? His steadfast love.  This phrase, first found here, appears over 200 times in the Bible.  If there is any word to describe God's love, it is this steadfast, never failing, enduring, sure and secure.  Have you witnessed that of God? Do you know Him that well?  This servant made a wise choice - both of a wife for Isaac and to pray to God based upon His character of steadfast love.  A few verses later we find him thanking God for proving his steadfast love once again. May we trust Him as such today. 

No comments:

Post a Comment