Monday, December 11, 2017

Christ, Come Calm our Fear of the Future

Genesis 46 So Israel took his journey with all that he had and came to Beersheba, and offered sacrifices to the God of his father Isaac. And God spoke to Israel in visions of the night and said, “Jacob, Jacob.” And he said, “Here I am.” Then he said, “I am God, the God of your father. Do not be afraid to go down to Egypt, for there I will make you into a great nation. I myself will go down with you to Egypt, and I will also bring you up again, and Joseph's hand shall close your eyes.”
Jacob had become comfortable in the Land God had given him. Now, in his old age, God was calling him somewhere different. His promise was more than a place; it was a people.  Whenever God comes to us and calls us to be a part of his plan, one of our first, if not THE first reaction we have is fear: I cannot do this! There was a lot of that surrounding the coming of Christ at his first Advent. Mary was afraid; Joseph was afraid; the shepherds were afraid.  Why should we not be afraid? "I am God... I go before you," He tells us. His very character and presence is more than enough, whatever and wherever He call on us to do or go, no matter how young we are (like Mary), or old we are (like Jacob). Fear Not! He comes to us, and will be with us, all the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment