Wednesday, May 10, 2017

Meddling Mothers...

Genesis 27:5 Now Rebekah was listening as Isaac spoke to his son Esau. When Esau left for the open country to hunt game and bring it back, Rebekah said to her son Jacob, “Look, I overheard your father say to your brother Esau, ‘Bring me some game and prepare me some tasty food to eat, so that I may give you my blessing in the presence of the Lord before I die.’ Now, my son, listen carefully and do what I tell you: Go out to the flock and bring me two choice young goats, so I can prepare some tasty food for your father, just the way he likes it. 10 Then take it to your father to eat, so that he may give you his blessing before he dies.”
It was nothing new. Jacob was Rebekah's favorite.  Everyone knew it, including Jacob, and he played it for all it was worth.  But this event escalated the sibling rivalry to a whole new level, as the winner of this competition would end up with life-long advantage, and beyond.  Rebekah, like Sarah, had a hard time believing God could do this on his own - make Jacob the blessed line, so she intervened. She went do far as to do the cooking herself.  Talk about moms doing their kids' homework!  The results would be far reaching: hatred and fear would drive these family members apart, and separation would break their hearts.  Moms, of course, are by no means alone in this, but we look to moms to keep the family together, not drive wedges that tear us apart.  Love - yes. Protect - yes. Even promote at times when appropriate and not over the top.  But beware going beyond that point to where we are no longer trusting God to know what He is doing and how. 

No comments:

Post a Comment