Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Lessons in Uniform...

Matthew 8:5 When he had entered Capernaum, a centurion came forward to him, appealing to him, “Lord, my servant is lying paralyzed at home, suffering terribly.” And he said to him, “I will come and heal him.” But the centurion replied, “Lord, I am not worthy to have you come under my roof, but only say the word, and my servant will be healed. For I too am a man under authority, with soldiers under me. And I say to one, ‘Go,’ and he goes, and to another, ‘Come,’ and he comes, and to my servant, ‘Do this,’ and he does it.” 10 When Jesus heard this, he marveled and said to those who followed him, “Truly, I tell you, with no one in Israel have I found such faith.
Jesus often commented on people's lack of faith; rarely did He comment on their strong faith like He did here.  In other word's we have something to learn from his example. From all of the encounters Jesus had with people, we learn different principles for life.  Here was a Roman officer, one who expected respect from his men and from the people he had watch over. He knew how the system worked, and was committed to following procedure.  In the spiritual realm, he had come to believe that Jesus is the authority. He is the one to make requests to; He is the one entrusted with power; He is the one who cares enough to do something. We also see that no matter how tough we need to be as a soldier, parent, boss, or other position of authority, faith is not sissy, and compassion is appropriate. The same is true for us.  Jesus is worthy of our trust, and our submission to His authority.  We can entrust to him those people and concerns most important to us and know he knows what to do.  May we have like faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment