Friday, May 19, 2017

"Just doin' my job..."

Luke 17:7 “Will any one of you who has a servant plowing or keeping sheep say to him when he has come in from the field, ‘Come at once and recline at table’? Will he not rather say to him, ‘Prepare supper for me, and dress properly, and serve me while I eat and drink, and afterward you will eat and drink’? Does he thank the servant because he did what was commanded? 10 So you also, when you have done all that you were commanded, say, ‘We are unworthy servants; we have only done what was our duty.’”
One of the favorite things many of us like to do is complain about our jobs: be it on facebook, with our friends, around the dinner table.  Even we pastors are not exempt.  How did we get here? In this discussion about following Him Jesus tells us that we should not get tired of serving Him, even when we are tired.  We should have the attitutude: "We have only done what is our duty." We should stop complaining. By using this example in the spiritual realm, he blesses it in the physical realm of daily life.  Everyone, and especially followers of Christ, needs to stop having such a bad attitude towards work. It begins with humility. I should not expect to get paid for doing nothing, have all the possible perks of work right this second, or believe I am "God's good gift to my boss." I am here as a servant, just as Christ was.  How can I do my best with what He has given me, how He has equipped me, and where He has put me? May we serve Him and others well today.

No comments:

Post a Comment