Tuesday, August 9, 2016

Songs we need to hear...

PSALM 5  1Give ear to my words, O Lord;
consider my ugroaning.
Give attention to the sound of my cry,
my vKing and my God,
for wto you do I pray.
Lord, in xthe morning you hear my voice;
in the morning I prepare a sacrifice for you1 and ywatch.

For you are not a God who delights in wickedness;
evil may not dwell with you.
The zboastful shall not astand before your eyes;
you bhate all evildoers.
You destroy those who speak clies;
the Lord abhors dthe bloodthirsty and deceitful man.

But I, through the abundance of your steadfast love,
will enter your house.
I will ebow down ftoward your gholy temple
in the fear of you.
hLead me, O Lord, in your righteousness
because of my enemies;
imake your way straight before me.

For there is no truth in their mouth;
their inmost self is jdestruction;
ktheir throat is lan open grave;
they mflatter with their tongue.
10  nMake them bear their guilt, O God;
let them ofall by their own counsels;
because of the abundance of their transgressions cast them out,
for they have rebelled against you.

11  But let all who ptake refuge in you qrejoice;
let them ever sing for joy,
and spread your protection over them,
that those who love your name may rexult in you.
12  For you sbless the righteous, O Lord;
you tcover him with favor as with ua shield.

God had placed David in Saul's court to comfort and challenge him with Psalms.  Saul needed to hear the truths of Psalms like this: God was King, not Saul.  Pride, lying and deceit were part of the reason that Saul had such a great fall, and needed to be confessed.  The place of blessing was in submission to God and His will.  The same is true for us: we love the Psalms for words of comfort, but we also need to be willing to receive their challenge. They confront us in our pride, self-focus and self-reliance. They bring us back to the truth: We need Him

No comments:

Post a Comment