Monday, August 1, 2016

Doing More Than Nothing...

The LORD said to Samuel, “How long will you grieve over Saul, since I have rejected him from being king over Israel? Fill your horn with oil, and go. I will send you to Jesse the Bethlehemite, for I have provided for myself a king among his sons.” And Samuel said, “How can I go? If Saul hears it, he will kill me.” And the LORD said, “Take a heifer with you and say, ‘I have come to sacrifice to the LORD.’ And invite Jesse to the sacrifice, and I will show you what you shall do. And you shall anoint for me him whom I declare to you.”
(1 Samuel 16:1-3 ESV)
Samuel was discouraged. He had seen things go from bad to worse firsthand. Being raised in a culture of rabid individualism, he was then an integral part of God appointing Saul as King.  Though at first on the surface things seemed to be going forward, as they experienced military victories, Samuel was close enough to see the core rotting away, and objective enough to see the people chasing false hopes, with no help from Saul stopping the train.  Finally, having announced the death knell of Saul's kingship, Samuel has walked away, despondent. But God will have none of that. God is still God and He is still on the throne.  Why should Samuel fear someone who has just been axed by God? The answer is not to wallow in self-pity, but to stick with God's plan.  Seek what God has next. Do your part. Trust in Him.  Whatever the failures and disobedient disasters of those around us, sitting around moping and doing nothing will not help ourselves or the situation.  Seeking God, listening to His voice, and obeying Him ourselves will keep us in the right place, on the right path, giving confidence and purpose. Do not lose heart!

No comments:

Post a Comment