Monday, August 8, 2016

A Psalm of David...

Answer me when I call, O God of my righteousness! You have given me relief when I was in distress. Be gracious to me and hear my prayer! O men, how long shall my honor be turned into shame? How long will you love vain words and seek after lies? Selah But know that the LORD has set apart the godly for himself; the LORD hears when I call to him. Be angry, and do not sin; ponder in your own hearts on your beds, and be silent. Selah Offer right sacrifices, and put your trust in the LORD. There are many who say, “Who will show us some good? Lift up the light of your face upon us, O LORD!” You have put more joy in my heart than they have when their grain and wine abound. In peace I will both lie down and sleep; for you alone, O LORD, make me dwell in safety. (Psalm 4 ESV)
In the historical account of I Samuel, we find that when Saul was tormented by a spirit, it became an opportunity for someone to come share psalms with him, in order to comfort him.  The truth of God's word does that. This week, we I will be taking an interlude from Samuel to look at some of this great Psalms David wrote. Psalm 4 is one with themes that would definitely minister to a hurting heart like Saul's. His honor had been turned to shame. He had entertained lies in his heart. He had set apart godly David in his place.  But this psalm also contains words that will convict that he needed to hear: Be angry, and do not sin." Saul was prone to fits of anger and rage. He got where he was bu not being willing to trust in the LORD."  The LORD offered to him, and to us "more joy in my heart." Having trouble sleeping at night? This Psalm is for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment