Sunday, November 15, 2015

Longing to Break Bread

And when the hour came, he reclined at table, and the apostles with him. And he said to them, “I have earnestly desired to eat this Passover with you before I suffer. For I tell you I will not eat it until it is fulfilled in the kingdom of God.” And he took a cup, and when he had given thanks he said, “Take this, and divide it among yourselves. For I tell you that from now on I will not drink of the fruit of the vine until the kingdom of God comes.” And he took bread, and when he had given thanks, he broke it and gave it to them, saying, “This is my body, which is given for you. Do this in remembrance of me.” And likewise the cup after they had eaten, saying, “This cup that is poured out for you is the new covenant in my blood. (Luke 22:14-20 ESV)
Jesus literally "desired with great desire" to have this Passover meal with his disciples. Why such great desire? Was He that Hungry? Maybe, but there were many reasons He wanted to do so. During that evening a lot of the things He had taught His followers would be brought together into a package. He would say and do things that would influence them for their whole lives and ministries, and for eternity. They would begin a new tradition for the Family of Faith, a new "Breaking Bread" that would characterize the Church. It was a commemoration that would keep them, and us, not only looking back to what He said and did, but forward to what He will do, and being with Him. May we long for this breaking of bread as much as He did.

No comments:

Post a Comment