Sunday, November 29, 2015

Finding Hope when you're not Happy

He has made my teeth grind on gravel, and made me cower in ashes; my soul is bereft of peace; I have forgotten what happiness is; so I say, “My endurance has perished; so has my hope from the LORD.” Remember my affliction and my wanderings, the wormwood and the gall! My soul continually remembers it and is bowed down within me. But this I call to mind, and therefore I have hope: The steadfast love of the LORD never ceases; his mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. “The LORD is my portion,” says my soul, “therefore I will hope in him.” (Lamentations 3:16-24 ESV)
Jeremiah had seen his life work of preaching repentance go up in smoke - literally. Despite His preaching and pleading, the people of Israel fell and were exiled. Life was as much fun as chewing gravel. That bad. His hope was all gone, and an uncertain future was before him. So He called out to God and called to mind His great faithfulness and mercy for each new day. Whatever the future holds, He holds us, therefore, we can hope in Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment