Wednesday, July 3, 2013

A sure way to trip and fall...


Not that I have already obtained this or am already perfect, but I press on to make it my own, because Christ Jesus has made me his own. Brothers, I do not consider that I have made it my own. But one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.(Philippians 3:12-14 ESV)
As we run the race of faith (Hebrews 12), we need to avoid anything that would trip us up and keep us from finishing well.  One of the ways good runners avoid this is not looking back.  If I look back, I lose my pace, and may give someone close an advantage.  If I look back and see I'm way ahead, I may try to coast, and again, be overcome.  As we look back in our lives, we can trip ourselves up in either direction: We can be so laden in guilt, which Christ has already handled, that we wallow in self-defeat.  Or, we can see where we were, and where we have come, and become over-confident and think we can cruise on in, only to be blind-sided by sin.  May we keep looking forward today, with our eyes fixed on Jesus, our Savior, Lord and hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment