Friday, December 27, 2024

Lest You...


Revelation 18:4 Then I heard another voice from heaven saying,
“Come out of her, my people,
    lest you take part in her sins,
lest you share in her plagues;
5 for her sins are heaped high as heaven,
    and God has remembered her iniquities.
6 Pay her back as she herself has paid back others,
    and repay her double for her deeds;
    mix a double portion for her in the cup she mixed.
7 As she glorified herself and lived in luxury,
    so give her a like measure of torment and mourning,
since in her heart she says,
    ‘I sit as a queen,
I am no widow,
    and mourning I shall never see.’
8 For this reason her plagues will come in a single day,
    death and mourning and famine,
and she will be burned up with fire;
    for mighty is the Lord God who has judged her.
”
This chapter records the downfall of the great Babylon, and with her, all the kings, merchants, and traders who traffic with her in immorality and idolatry.  There is a sense in which we all wait to cheer when this happens, but we often miss the verses above: Make sure you don't go down with her.  Do not feel self-assured.  Make sure you are not actually on her losing side. 

No comments:

Post a Comment