Saturday, April 6, 2024

The Heart of the Matter

 

Psalm 39:7 “And now, O Lord, for what do I wait?
    My hope is in you.
8 Deliver me from all my transgressions.
    Do not make me the scorn of the fool!
9 I am mute; I do not open my mouth,
    for it is you who have done it.
10 Remove your stroke from me;
    I am spent by the hostility of your hand.
11 When you discipline a man
    with rebukes for sin,
you consume like a moth what is dear to him;
    surely all mankind is a mere breath! Selah

David is struggling with two things: his sin and the brevity of life.  You really do need to read the full psalm to get how the heart of it - these central verses, relate to what comes before and after it. In the preceding verses, we find that David is struggling with how short life really is - too short to be keeping long accounts with God.  Then, after these verses we find him calling out to God to hear him - to stop the silence and answer him.  Both sections contain well-known verses we often pluck out of context, which make much more sense when we identify with the wrestling of heart David is going through. Can we identify with him?

No comments:

Post a Comment