Thursday, April 18, 2024

Real Rest

 


Matthew 11:25 At that time Jesus declared, “I thank you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, that you have hidden these things from the wise and understanding and revealed them to little children; 26 yes, Father, for such was your gracious will. 27 All things have been handed over to me by my Father, and no one knows the Son except the Father, and no one knows the Father except the Son and anyone to whom the Son chooses to reveal him. 28 Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.”

We saw yesterday in chapter 10 that Jesus told his disciples about all the opposition and persecution they could expect, but then ended the chapter with the rewards of righteousness.  In this chapter Matthew tells about John the Baptist, who had been rejected by the status quo and ended up in prison, then worse. Then we find Jesus commenting on how He was being rejected and opposed for different reasons than John, but the end result was the same, listing all the cities (and thereby the areas around them) which had rejected the gospel already. It is after all this that Jesus says it will be worth it all to follow Him, because they would no longer be striving to be righteous on their own, like the religious elite, but truly enter His rest. 


No comments:

Post a Comment