Sunday, October 29, 2023

The Place to Be #59


 Philippians 4:10 I rejoiced in the Lord greatly that now at length you have revived your concern for me. You were indeed concerned for me, but you had no opportunity. 11 Not that I am speaking of being in need, for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content. 12 I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need. 13 I can do all things through him who strengthens me.

Having demonstrated a life of joy and calling the Philippian believers (and us) to the same kind of joy, Paul now mentions another cause for joy in his life: their loving support of him while in prison. Since he had no means to support himself, he was at the mercy of others to bring him food, news of what was going on, medical support, and most of all, compassion. They had sent financial support with representatives of their church which was enough to make a grown man cry. Though Paul was extremely thankful for their gifts, he was also not dependent upon them, but upon Christ alone. He had and would supply all he needed. Christ gave him joy in every circumstance - no matter where he was, what he had, or how long he had to wait on God.  Joy was not something Paul earned or fought hard to obtain; it too was a gift from God. We can trust him to provide us joy as we too accept His will for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment