Thursday, October 19, 2023

The Place to Be #49


 Philippians 2:19 I hope in the Lord Jesus to send Timothy to you soon, so that I too may be cheered by news of you. 20 For I have no one like him, who will be genuinely concerned for your welfare. 21 For they all seek their own interests, not those of Jesus Christ. 22 But you know Timothy's proven worth, how as a son with a father he has served with me in the gospel. 23 I hope therefore to send him just as soon as I see how it will go with me, 24 and I trust in the Lord that shortly I myself will come also.

Paul had been telling this church to not lose heart and worry about him because he was in prison. Rather, they were to rejoice with him, because the Gospel was still being spread - by him with those who were his "captive" audience, and by many others outside the prison walls.  He had challenged them as the church to choose to focus on following Christ, who Himself, "for the joy set before Him"(Hebrews 12), set aside His glory to come and do what needed to be done to bring us salvation. There was only so much encouragement that Paul could give by letter, so he planned on coming in person to see them. For now, he was making a more immediate plan of sending Timothy.  This would get news there sooner, and also show this church how much Paul cared for them, being willing to give up his closest assistant to send to them. To not make them feel bad about this, Paul also reminded them it would be beneficial to him when Timothy brought back an update from them.  Church functions best when everyone is willing to give up something they want for the mutual encouragement of others in the body.  This actually leads to a "return on investment" as we all get to see God at work in one another and in the church as a whole. 

No comments:

Post a Comment