Thursday, October 26, 2023

The Place to Be #56

 


Philippians 4:1 Therefore, my brothers, whom I love and long for, my joy and crown, stand firm thus in the Lord, my beloved. 2 I entreat Euodia and I entreat Syntyche to agree in the Lord. 3 Yes, I ask you also, true companion, help these women, who have labored side by side with me in the gospel together with Clement and the rest of my fellow workers, whose names are in the book of life.

Paul has shared with this church (and us) the key to true joy - the joy he has learned to experience when he lives through every situation - no matter how difficult or dangerous, by trusting in God's plan and presence. He wants them (and us) to have the same. He has found that joy in Christ alone. In this last chapter he wants to deal with anything that may rob this church of their joy, beginning with feuding members.  He begins by calling them "brothers", which for Paul means "fellow-believers," and that they, as ones who have trusted Christ through his ministry are what brings him joy.  They need to stand firm in this brotherhood and joy. Division robs us of joy and of spiritual stability.  These women at odds are not to have to figure it out themselves, but are to be assisted by their fellow-believers.  This is everyone's issue, because it affects the whole body.  They are to do this with respect for Christ, Paul, and all those who had invested so highly in them.  If we don't deal with division and discontent it soon spreads throughout the whole body, robbing everyone of their joy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment