Saturday, May 13, 2023

The Loyal Love of the Lord #6

 


Read Hosea 6

Background: As we saw yesterday, Israel and Judah were going to face judgment for their repeated sin of idolatry and turning away from God.  At the beginning of this chapter, it sounds as if they are beginning to repent and come back to God, but it soon becomes evident that they are just talking the talk and not truly coming in confession and repentance.  God gives a very clear comparison going back to Adam and Eve:

Key verses: 4 What shall I do with you, O Ephraim?
    What shall I do with you, O Judah?
Your love is like a morning cloud,
    like the dew that goes early away.
5 Therefore I have hewn them by the prophets;
    I have slain them by the words of my mouth,
    and my judgment goes forth as the light.
6 For I desire steadfast love and not sacrifice,
    the knowledge of God rather than burnt offerings.
7 But like Adam they transgressed the covenant;
    there they dealt faithlessly with me
.

Thoughts: What appeared at first to be repentance was like a temporary fog or quickly passing dew.  There was no true, covenantal love for the Lord being demonstrated.  Any sacrifices were meaningless ceremonies, and any religious words were merely hot air.  They continued to be faithless. Judgment was inevitable, yet we once again end with a note of hope:

For you also, O Judah, a harvest is appointed.
When I restore the fortunes of my people,


No comments:

Post a Comment