Thursday, May 18, 2023

The Loyal Love of the Lord #11


 Read Hosea 11

Background: Through the illustration of Hosea and Gomer, God has demonstrated His faithful love despite Israel's faithfulness.  He now pauses to look at that love from another perspective:

Key verses: When Israel was a child, I loved him,
    and out of Egypt I called my son.
2 The more they were called,
    the more they went away;
they kept sacrificing to the Baals
    and burning offerings to idols.
3 Yet it was I who taught Ephraim to walk;
    I took them up by their arms,
    but they did not know that I healed them.
4 I led them with cords of kindness,
    with the bands of love,
and I became to them as one who eases the yoke on their jaws,
    and I bent down to them and fed them.

Thoughts: God looks back as a parent on the early days of Israel, when He called them to be His people, taught them how to walk in His ways, and provided for them in the wilderness.  As the chapter continues, He says there is no way He is going to send them back to slavery in Egypt, but instead scatter them in Assyria.  In His faithful love, He cannot see Himself giving up on His people:

My heart recoils within me;
    my compassion grows warm and tender.
9 I will not execute my burning anger;
    I will not again destroy Ephraim;
for I am God and not a man,
    the Holy One in your midst,
    and I will not come in wrath.

No comments:

Post a Comment