Saturday, May 27, 2023

The Day of the Lord #6

 


Read Zephaniah 3

Background: Having talked about everyone else's sin in chapter 2, Zephaniah returns to God's foremost concern: Judah and Jerusalem.  She is full of wall-to-wall sin, down to the royal family, prophets and priests.  There is oppression, disobedience, and unrighteousness everywhere, which much be dealt with. God's hope was that seeing the other nations being judged they, of all people, would repent, but they did not.  Despite all of this, God holds out hope for the restoration of a remnant in the future.

Key verses: 18 “I will remove from you
    all who mourn over the loss of your appointed festivals,
    which is a burden and reproach for you.
19 At that time I will deal
    with all who oppressed you.
I will rescue the lame;
    I will gather the exiles.
I will give them praise and honor
    in every land where they have suffered shame.
20 At that time I will gather you;
    at that time I will bring you home.
I will give you honor and praise
    among all the peoples of the earth
when I restore your fortunes
    before your very eyes,”
says the Lord.

Thoughts:  Those who truly miss God's presence will be rewarded.  He will bring them home. 

No comments:

Post a Comment