Monday, February 25, 2019

God's Gracious Will...

25 At that time Jesus declared, “I thank you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, that you have hidden these things from the wise and understanding and revealed them to little children; 26 yes, Father, for such was your gracious will. 27 All things have been handed over to me by my Father, and no one knows the Son except the Father, and no one knows the Father except the Son and anyone to whom the Son chooses to reveal him. 28 Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.” (Matthew 11)
Jesus came, He healed, He taught He loved.  Yet many did not get it. Those who should have responded most quickly and whole-heartedly often just walked away.  It had to be discouraging to come offering salvation, forgiveness, and eternal life, yet be rejected.  But Jesus turns to the Father with thanksgiving and a realization that God's plan is being fulfilled.  He then makes this announcement, inviting us to come to Him.  It is not easy street; there is a yoke. But He shares it and bears the bulk of the load.  He will not drag us at a speed we cannot keep up to.  He makes life bearable, yes, desireable.  In short, He offers us God's gracious way, and the grace we need for real life.  No jamming it down our throats, just a reassurance that it is the right way to go. It is a compelling invitation we ought not ignore. Come, take, find, live.

No comments:

Post a Comment