Sunday, September 30, 2018

Supply and Distribution

14 Yet it was kind of you to share my trouble. 15 And you Philippians yourselves know that in the beginning of the gospel, when I left Macedonia, no church entered into partnership with me in giving and receiving, except you only. 16 Even in Thessalonica you sent me help for my needs once and again. 17 Not that I seek the gift, but I seek the fruit that increases to your credit. 18 I have received full payment, and more. I am well supplied, having received from Epaphroditus the gifts you sent, a fragrant offering, a sacrifice acceptable and pleasing to God.19 And my God will supply every need of yours according to his riches in glory in Christ Jesus. 20 To our God and Father be glory forever and ever. Amen (Philippians 4)
Being a missionary can be a scary venture.  Relying on others for support, then leaving the security of home and easy access to resources behind makes them very vulnerable.  They depend on the faithfulness of God's people.  In recent years I have seen many missionaries "left to dry" when churches cut or drop support in the middle of one of their terms overseas. It's a distribution problem. God provides for God's people. They don't always distribute and deliver.  Paul had lived through some pretty lean times, working and serving no matter what, to make sure the gospel went forward.  Over time, people became faithful, and he had "more than enough".  What he really longed for was that all of God's people would learn the joy of distributing, giving. When we let God's recources flow throw us to His church, His Missions, and those in need, we will find that the supply never runs dry.  That's because He is the supplier.  But when we clog the distribution line, we will have less to enjoy, and enjoy what we have less. It is a lesson on faith. Do we really trust God to supply all our needs? 

No comments:

Post a Comment