Friday, September 7, 2018

Idols Don't Answer

 Ephraim, what have I to do with idols?
    It is I who answer and look after you.
I am like an evergreen cypress;
    from me comes your fruit.
Whoever is wise, let him understand these things;
    whoever is discerning, let him know them;
for the ways of the Lord are right,
    and the upright walk in them,
    but transgressors stumble in them.
(Hosea 14)
Returning to God from Idols.  What a resounding cry of the prophets. It is still as applicable today as then. We have this bent or turning to what is manmade for fulfillment and meaning.  We turn to manmade stuff, manmade institutions and nations, manmade and governed relationships.  What we end up with is emptiness and meaninglessness.  Wisdom sees beyond the seeable, and hears what God says, understanding His Word to be truth.  He is beyond the stuff; His glory is what really matters; He is the one Who knows what it takes to make a great relationship.  In the verses preceding these, God says what He will do when we do return to trusting in Him.  He makes a list of promises: "I will heal; I will love; I will be...", going on to list the blessings that come when living in proper relationship with Him.  Return. Turn about. Don't delay. 

No comments:

Post a Comment