Thursday, June 14, 2018

Getting your three-a-day (or more)

16 
But I call to God,
    and the Lord will save me.
17 
Evening and morning and at noon
    utter my complaint and moan,
    and he hears my voice.
18 
He redeems my soul in safety
    from the battle that I wage,
    for many are arrayed against me.
19 
God will give ear and humble them,
    he who is enthroned from of old

Selah
(Psalm 55:16-19a)
In this Psalm of David we get a glimpse of one of his prayer practices, which also appears in other places in scripture and Judeo-Christian writings: praying at three points in the day: morning, noon, and evening. Sometimes they are called "the hour of prayer".  Of course some did adhere to the "letter of the law" - they would not be caught dead showing up in public anywhere else at those times of day.  But David shows us the true intent. We need more than a quick "help me today" in the morning, or a "now I lay me down to sleep at night," with a few "thank you for this food" one-liners in between. Prayer is often, often intense, often a matter of life and death spiritually.  David developed a lifestyle of prayer which we would do well to follow.  Make sure you get your three-a-day, with lots of snacks in between.  


No comments:

Post a Comment