Thursday, August 24, 2017

Not there yet...

Philippians 3:12 Not that I have already obtained this or am already perfect, but I press on to make it my own, because Christ Jesus has made me his own. 13 Brothers, I do not consider that I have made it my own. But one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead, 14 I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus. 15 Let those of us who are mature think this way, and if in anything you think otherwise, God will reveal that also to you. 16 Only let us hold true to what we have attained.
Paul was very realistic.  He knew that he was not perfect - not even close. But he also knew he was mature, growing up, on the path, in the race, heading in the right direction.  He had a mature mindset that many today lack - thinking that they know so much more and are so much better than "the worst of all sinners".  May we, like Paul, "hold true to what we have attained." May we be able to look back on what we have learned, and been able to apply to our spiritual lives, and be grateful, but not proud.  One thing we know from Paul's use of this last word "attained" is that he used it in the plural, like he does here. We do not do this on our own. Not only do we need Christ, and His Holy Spirit; we need one another. We are not to be going through life comparing ourselves to one another, but complimenting and encouraging one another so we all grow up together. None of us are there yet.  But are we heading there together? 

No comments:

Post a Comment