Wednesday, August 9, 2017

Good Grieving

II Corinthians 7: But God, who comforts the downcast, comforted us by the coming of Titus, and not only by his coming but also by the comfort with which he was comforted by you, as he told us of your longing, your mourning, your zeal for me, so that I rejoiced still more. For even if I made you grieve with my letter, I do not regret it—though I did regret it, for I see that that letter grieved you, though only for a while. As it is, I rejoice, not because you were grieved, but because you were grieved into repenting. For you felt a godly grief, so that you suffered no loss through us.
Paul was concerned about this group of believers: they seemed so unresponsive.  So he had written them some words of warning and rebuke, risking a personal and negative reaction.  He was encouraged when he heard that they received his rebuke in proper form - not taking it personally, but seriously. They had good grief over their sin. It hurt; it stung; but it did not harden or embitter them.  This is indeed what will determine how we deal with brothers and sisters in the Lord.  Are we willing to confront one another for their good?  Are we willing to take the risk of making them angry, or hurt, for a time? Or will we "let it go" and have them become angry down the road anyway, because we allowed them to continue on the wrong path?  Now for a time? Or later for a lifetime?

No comments:

Post a Comment