Thursday, July 6, 2017

When you're ready for the people of God...

Exodus 3:7 Then the Lord said, “I have surely seen the affliction of my people who are in Egypt and have heard their cry because of their taskmasters. I know their sufferings, and I have come down to deliver them out of the hand of the Egyptians and to bring them up out of that land to a good and broad land, a land flowing with milk and honey, to the place of the Canaanites, the Hittites, the Amorites, the Perizzites, the Hivites, and the Jebusites. And now, behold, the cry of the people of Israel has come to me, and I have also seen the oppression with which the Egyptians oppress them. 10 Come, I will send you to Pharaoh that you may bring my people, the children of Israel, out of Egypt.” 11 But Moses said to God, “Who am I that I should go to Pharaoh and bring the children of Israel out of Egypt?”12 He said, “But I will be with you, and this shall be the sign for you, that I have sent you: when you have brought the people out of Egypt, you shall serve God on this mountain.”
Moses had seen the oppression God was talking about - over 40 years before. It was not that God finally realized it - he had seen it too. But Moses had not seen God's people from the right perspective. He viewed them as people who needed him to solve their problems his way as an outside contractor or consultant. So God had allowed him to go 40 years without his people.  Moses was now in the place where he could appreciated God's people, and his need of them. When he was able to say "Who am I?", and humbly accept God's call to be a part of his people, then God could do something with him.  Sure, there would be many times Moses would feel like giving up on God's people, but he never did. He stuck with them till his calling was fulfilled.  Is it time for you to go back to God's people?  Are you ready? Or are you still stuck on yourself and with yourself?

No comments:

Post a Comment